Spaghetti Squash with Balsamic Vegetables and Toasted Pine Nuts
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and halved
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high until tender, 15-18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute carrots and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in beans, tomatoes, artichokes, zucchini, vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through, 8-10 minutes.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Serve with bean mixture. Sprinkle with nuts.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup bean mixture with 2/3 cup squash and 4 teaspoons nuts: 275 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 510mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 10g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Mar 24, 2018
Made this dish and it was excellent. Easy to make.
Jun 21, 2017
This is easy to execute, but it took me longer than 30 minutes with all the prep. I'll remember to prep the vegetables early next time to speed things along. I might add another can of tomatoes to make it a little saucier, but it's excellent as written.
Mar 9, 2016
This was ok, but I didn't like it nearly as well as I thought I would.
Oct 5, 2015
This Recipe was super yummy and easy! I had never had spaghetti squash and was searching for a way to make it. I didn't even have the beans, zucchini, or thyme and still loved it!
Jan 5, 2014
Amazing. Loved the balsamic and artichokes!
Oct 20, 2012
Spectacular! This is absolutely one of the best recipes I've ever made.
Oct 18, 2012
I loved this recipe. It was the first time my children had spaghetti squash, and they balked, but I will try it again and I think they will like it. The flavors were delicious. We followed the recipe as written. Thanks for a great recipe!
Oct 16, 2012
This recipe was easy and very tasty! Even my 16 year old son who hates everything asked for more!!