Patio Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 7 medium red potatoes, cubed and cooked
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- Lettuce leaves and paprika, optional
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, mustard, salt and celery seed. Stir in the milk, vinegar and beaten egg until smooth. Add butter. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Cool. Stir in onion and mayonnaise.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes and hard-boiled eggs. Add dressing and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. If desired, serve in a lettuce-lined bowl and sprinkle with paprika.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 208 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 348mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
May 17, 2015
My favorite potato salad! I would like to try it with substituting with balsamic vinegar as suggested by a previous reviewer.
Jan 23, 2014
I make this all summer long. Forgot the butter once and it was still awesome.
Jul 27, 2012
I make this all the time. Everyone who tastes it, expecting the usual potato salad, pauses and says something like, "Ohhhh this is really good potato salad!" I've made it exactly as written and I've subbed balsamic vinegar for the regular vinegar. Always a good result. Easy and DELICIOUS!!!
Aug 29, 2011
I just made this potato salad for a party. I have been looking for a great potato salad for a long time. This recipe is now my favorite! It is a little on the sweet side. I may add less sugar next time. I added the pepper, fresh dill weed and celery. It was even better the day after I made it. This is the best potato salad!!
Aug 7, 2011
Great recipe I usually add 1/4 cup chopped celery, 1/2 teaspoon dill weed, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. You don't have to add these things to have a great salad though. I always get rave reviews for this recipe.
Jul 2, 2010
This is the only recipe I use now for potato salad. I always get compliments and people who don't usually like potato salad like this.
Apr 26, 2008
My whole family loves this recipe and it gets request! The sweet taste is unexpected from the consumer and most will grab seconds. Thanks for this recipe!