Baked Lemon Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 lemon slices
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour and pepper; dredge the chicken. Set remaining flour mixture aside. In a skillet, brown chicken in oil; transfer to an ungreased 9-in. square baking dish.
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter. Add reserved flour mixture; stir to form a thick paste. Gradually add broth, lemon juice, basil and thyme; mix well. Bring to boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Pour over the chicken. Top each half with a lemon slice. Sprinkle parsley. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until the juices run clear. Serve over rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 287 calories, 13g fat (0 saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 104mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Nov 9, 2017
Delicious! My kids don't usually like any sort of fruit mixed with meat, but they sure loved this.
Jun 28, 2017
I used fresh herbs....makes a world of difference. very tasty.....definitely serve with the rice.
Oct 14, 2016
Big household with a few pescatarians (vegetarian but will eat fish) and one with a sodium restriction in our household. Made a tray of chicken and a tray of shrimp (SAME receipt except substituted vegetable broth for all with chicken) - VERY easy to to do the two proteins side by side then bake. EVERYONE in the family actually liked it - miracle on to itself. THANK YOU!
Aug 26, 2014
Very good! I seasoned the flour with lemon pepper seasoning and that was the only thing I did different. Very easy, will make again.
Apr 30, 2014
The recipe was flavorful. I added a little more lemon based on reviews I read. The chicken turned out moist. We served this with rice. Overall easy recipe that is good for a work night.
Feb 4, 2013
This chicken was awesome. I doubled the recipe to serve the 6 of us in my family. The lemon sauce was perfect. I didn't add the thyme since I don't really care for the taste. When I doubled the ingredients I only added 3 tsp. of basil which was plenty. I also cooked some basmati rice which was perfect when you poured some of the lemon sauce over it. This is an easy recipe and definitely a keeper.
Oct 24, 2012
My family loved this! The chicken was tender and sauce smooth. I used a whole can of chicken broth and added a tad more flour to the mix. We are a saucy bunch!
Nov 27, 2011
nice citrus flavor
Sep 16, 2011
I wasn't expecting it to be so intense with the herbs until I started adding them. I cut them down and still thought it was more of an herb lemon chicken then classified as a "lemon chicken." both my husband and i agreed that we wish it had more lemon flavor and would take the herbs down even more.
Jan 24, 2011
I tried this recipe because i was tired of eating regular chicken, i really liked this recipe the only thing i would consider adding is a little salt to the blend. Other than that i really loved it and will be making it again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.