Baked Lemon Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 lemon slices
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour and pepper; dredge the chicken. Set remaining flour mixture aside. In a skillet, brown chicken in oil; transfer to an ungreased 9-in. square baking dish.
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter. Add reserved flour mixture; stir to form a thick paste. Gradually add broth, lemon juice, basil and thyme; mix well. Bring to boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Pour over the chicken. Top each half with a lemon slice. Sprinkle parsley. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until the juices run clear. Serve over rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 287 calories, 13g fat (0 saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 104mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 9, 2017
Delicious! My kids don't usually like any sort of fruit mixed with meat, but they sure loved this.
Jun 28, 2017
I used fresh herbs....makes a world of difference. very tasty.....definitely serve with the rice.
Oct 14, 2016
Big household with a few pescatarians (vegetarian but will eat fish) and one with a sodium restriction in our household. Made a tray of chicken and a tray of shrimp (SAME receipt except substituted vegetable broth for all with chicken) - VERY easy to to do the two proteins side by side then bake. EVERYONE in the family actually liked it - miracle on to itself. THANK YOU!
Aug 26, 2014
Very good! I seasoned the flour with lemon pepper seasoning and that was the only thing I did different. Very easy, will make again.
Apr 30, 2014
The recipe was flavorful. I added a little more lemon based on reviews I read. The chicken turned out moist. We served this with rice. Overall easy recipe that is good for a work night.
Feb 4, 2013
This chicken was awesome. I doubled the recipe to serve the 6 of us in my family. The lemon sauce was perfect. I didn't add the thyme since I don't really care for the taste. When I doubled the ingredients I only added 3 tsp. of basil which was plenty. I also cooked some basmati rice which was perfect when you poured some of the lemon sauce over it. This is an easy recipe and definitely a keeper.
Oct 24, 2012
My family loved this! The chicken was tender and sauce smooth. I used a whole can of chicken broth and added a tad more flour to the mix. We are a saucy bunch!
Nov 27, 2011
nice citrus flavor
Sep 16, 2011
I wasn't expecting it to be so intense with the herbs until I started adding them. I cut them down and still thought it was more of an herb lemon chicken then classified as a "lemon chicken." both my husband and i agreed that we wish it had more lemon flavor and would take the herbs down even more.
Jan 24, 2011
I tried this recipe because i was tired of eating regular chicken, i really liked this recipe the only thing i would consider adding is a little salt to the blend. Other than that i really loved it and will be making it again!