Whether it’s a refreshing breakfast drink or a fruity dessert, a smoothie is good any time of day. For me, mango smoothies are the best of the best. With a tropical flavor and smooth texture, mangos are the perfect smoothie fruit.
How do you make a mango smoothie? It’s as simple as blending fruit, juice and yogurt together.
4 Things to Know Before You Blend
Before you start, here are a few basic tips to keep in mind.
- Add liquids first. Not only is this easier on your blender, but it’ll produce a better texture.
- Start slow. If you start blending on the highest level, an air bubble could form, preventing your ingredients from blending.
- Use frozen fruit instead of fresh. That allows you to skip the ice, preventing a watered-down flavor.
- Prepare make-ahead bags of ingredients. You just have to dump the ingredients in the blender, add liquid and enjoy.
Searching for a new blender? Use our buying guide to choose the right one.
What Fruit Mixes Well With Mango?
Mangoes are a team player—they go with almost anything! Since they intensify the flavor of other tropical fruits, try coconut, papaya or pineapple. In my opinion, melons, berries, peaches and bananas are also a good choice.
As for the liquid, apple juice, orange juice, pineapple juice or mango nectar are all good options.
If you’d like to amp up the health of your smoothie, try adding in flax seeds, chia seeds or protein powder. Here are ingredients that can add more protein to your smoothies, too.
How to Make a Mango Smoothie
Here’s a basic recipe for a mango smoothie. Feel free to get creative by adding different fruit or liquid!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 cups frozen chopped peeled mangoes
- 1/2 medium ripe banana
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
Step 1: Add the liquids
In a blender, combine the juice, yogurt and honey. Cover and blend until smooth.
Step 2: Add the fruit
Add the mango and banana. Cover and blend until smooth.
Pro Tip: If the blades get stuck on a chunk of frozen mango, hit the pulse button to help free it.
Step 3: Enjoy!
Pour into two chilled glasses; serve immediately. When it’s time to clean up the mess, this is the easiest way to clean your blender.