- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons each lemon, strawberry and orange gelatin powder
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) lemon frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions, substituting three whole eggs for egg whites. Divide evenly among three bowls. Stir one flavor of gelatin into each bowl until blended. Pour each into a prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Freeze option: Wrap cooled cake layers in plastic wrap, then cover securely in foil; freeze. To use, thaw cakes before unwrapping. Assemble as directed. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Rainbow Layer Cake
Sort By :
"I made this cake for a friends birthday!! I chose strawberry, jello, for the flavors, along with lemon, and orange1 turned out awesome! also used the homemade icing from TOH, everyone one loved it!!!"
"This is indeed a very pretty cake ...was soft and moist but little crumbly..and next time would reduce the oil by a tbsp or two cuz the paper underneath the cake showed extra oil...I used another cake icing recipe also available in TOH (lemon orange cake recipe) for this cake...it's citrus lemony flavour blended really well with this cake but was a little sweet although I used only 4 cups of the icing sugar then what the recipe called for...it does taste like eating a fruit candy ...next time will try to enhance the flavor by adding a tbsp of lemon juice, orange juice and stawberry juice or essence!! Will let u know how it turns out :)"
"I made this cake for my hubby's Birthday. Everyone love the color and the way it tasted."
"I didn't try it yet. It looks & sounds so yummy, it's got to be a 5 start easy yummy cake!"