- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger; add to creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking pans; flatten slightly with the back of a spoon. Bake at 400° for 10-11 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir over medium heat 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- In a small bowl, beat shortening, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add chilled milk mixture; beat for 7 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spread on the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Sort By :
I will not make again! Recipe is too dense and not enough pumpkin flavor even though I added extra pumpkin! The first batch burnt following instructions as I always do the first time I try a new recipe! I haven't even tried the filling BUT will be using cream cheese frosting instead anyways which is what the reviews say to use! (I just now read them!) WHY does Taste Of Home publish a recipe without the correct ingredients? I have never tried a recipe from them before that WASN'T GREAT!!!
Great recipe! The taste was wonderful and easy to make. I used the bottom of a glass that I wet to flatten the cookie before baking. For me, this seemed to work very well and the cookies were very uniformed. Another tip for the icing - constantly whisk the frosting when cooking. This will elevate any lumps.
I'm giving a 5 star review from reading the pervious reviews. You have to add 1 1/2 cups of pumpkin. I also added 1 tsp. nutmeg and 1 tsp. pumpkin spice. To give that pumpkin taste and feeling. Filling you could really use the filling for pumpkin rolls and would be even better.
I absolutely loved this cookie, it was moist, soft, and chewy. I didn't get a chance to make the filling but the cookie itself was delicious. Next time I will make the filling, hopefully its just as good.
You have just me a person who didn't like these cookies. You can't even taste the pumpkin in my opinion, it was just like eating a sweetened piece of dough and the filling wasn't much better, too bland. In other words, save your 3 hours of time in the kitchen and make something else!!