VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (6 ounces) dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (14-inches x 9-inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 5 squares)
- In a small saucepan, combine the apricots, sugar and peel. Stir in orange juice and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until juice is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Set aside 1 tablespoon nuts; toast remaining nuts. Stir into apricot mixture.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of crumbs. Repeat with 5 more sheets of phyllo; brushing each layer with butter and sprinkling with crumbs. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Carefully spread filling along one long edge to within 2 in. of edges. Fold the two short sides over filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side.
- Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Brush top with butter and score top lightly every 1-1/2 in. Sprinkle with reserved nuts.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Slice at scored marks. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hazelnut Apricot Strudel in Complete Guide to Baking 2004, p206