- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Yellow, orange, green, teal, magenta and black paste food coloring
- 10 Starburst candies
- 5 ice cream sugar cones
- Assorted candies for decorating
- Line two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, water and vanilla until smooth; stir into dry ingredients until well blended. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Divide the remaining frosting among six small bowls. Tint each with yellow, orange, green, teal, magenta and black food coloring. Cut a hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert round tip #3. Fill bag with yellow frosting. Pipe ribbons and bows around tops of Starburst candies to make gifts; set aside. With black frosting, pipe "Happy Birthday" on top center of cake.
- Place cones around top edge of cake for clown hats. On sides of cake, pipe clown faces and collars. Using a variety of frosting colors, piping tips and candies, create clown hair, faces and collars. Decorate clown hats. Place gifts around bottom edge of cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Birthday Clown Cake
"I used a strawberry cake mix but used the frosting recipe as it made a lot! This was so fun to decorate & make. I loved making it more than the kids loved seeing it, which they really, really liked! I used various candies that made it so much fun. Thanks for sharing!"