Ultimate Chocolate Chunk Pecan Pie
Our family hosts an annual barn party for our close friends, complete with a pie cook-off. A few years ago, this recipe won first prize! —Janice Schneider, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + chilling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces cold cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 2-1/2 cups pecan halves, toasted
- In a small bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in cream cheese and butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while making filling.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, butter and 1 cup chopped chocolate; stir over low heat until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, corn syrup, vanilla and salt until blended. Stir in chocolate mixture. Layer pecans and remaining chopped chocolate in pastry shell; pour chocolate mixture over top.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until set. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Refrigerate 2 hours or until cold.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 650 calories, 42g fat (15g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Chunk Pecan Pie in Taste of Home December 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.