"My grandmother gave me the recipe for this nicely spiced rice," recalls Kat Thompson of Prineville, Oregon. At 24 cents per serving, it's an economical side dish. "Or add some ground beef for a satisfying skillet meal," she suggests.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- In a large skillet, saute rice and onion in oil until rice is browned and onion is tender. Stir in the water, green pepper, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 184 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 490mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 14, 2013
Whenever we have Mexican food, I reach for this recipe. I like it with the addition of red kidney beans as well and topped with shredded Mexican cheese - yum! We've also used brown rice with great results, too!