Slow-Cooked Fruited Oatmeal with Nuts
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted
- 6 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- Additional fat-free milk
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray, combine the first eight ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until liquid is absorbed, 6-8 hours.
- Spoon oatmeal into bowls. Sprinkle with almonds and pecans. If desired, drizzle with additional milk.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 306 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 fat.
Jul 18, 2013
Okay. I have made this three times now. The third time was the charm. This does not take 6-8 hours to cook-only about four. If you overcook it, it does stick and burn to the sides of the crock-pot terribly, and the apples do dissolve.So what I did was put it on before I went to bed, then in the middle of the night when I woke up (pregnant right now...) I stirred the oatmeal and turned it to warm. in the morning, it was perfect retaining all the yummy flavors. My family loved it.
Mar 2, 2012
The oatmeal burned to the sides of the slow cooker. The apples dissolved away. This was a disappointing disgusting mess to clean up.
Feb 7, 2012
Despite all the ingredients there wasn't a ton of flavor. It definitely needed the nuts, additional cranberries and some brown sugar when serving. It was easy and smelled great, but I'm not sure I'd make it again.