Makeover Reuben Melt
This twist on a classic Reuben keeps the corned beef and uses a sauce made with Swiss (and plenty of thousand-island flavor). Fresh slaw on top replaces the sauerkraut. —Jenni Sharp, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cold fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup shredded baby Swiss cheese
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1/8 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 4 slices marble rye bread
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 10 ounces sliced deli corned beef
- Preheat broiler. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, oil, caraway seeds, salt and pepper until blended. Add cabbage; toss to coat.
- In a small saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese, relish, ketchup and paprika until cheese is melted. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place bread slices on a baking sheet. Brush both sides with oil. Broil 4-6 in. from heat 45-60 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Layer corned beef over bread slices. Broil 1-2 minutes longer or until meat is heated through. Top with cheese sauce and slaw.
Nutrition Facts1 open-faced sandwich: 293 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1172mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.