Makeover Reuben Melt
This twist on a classic Reuben keeps the corned beef and uses a sauce made with Swiss (and plenty of thousand-island flavor). Fresh slaw on top replaces the sauerkraut. —Jenni Sharp, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cold fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup shredded baby Swiss cheese
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1/8 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 4 slices marble rye bread
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 10 ounces sliced deli corned beef
- Preheat broiler. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, oil, caraway seeds, salt and pepper until blended. Add cabbage; toss to coat.
- In a small saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese, relish, ketchup and paprika until cheese is melted. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place bread slices on a baking sheet. Brush both sides with oil. Broil 4-6 in. from heat 45-60 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Layer corned beef over bread slices. Broil 1-2 minutes longer or until meat is heated through. Top with cheese sauce and slaw.
Nutrition Facts1 open-faced sandwich: 293 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1172mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Makeover Reuben Melt in Taste of Home February/March 2016