I live in an area that's hot and humid, so I'm always experimenting with new recipes to find a dish that is tasty and nutritious - and that I can make without turning on my oven.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch garlic powder
- Lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, combine the first 14 ingredients; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl; sprinkle with paprika.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 229 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Macaroni Salad in Country April/May 2003