JoJo’s Ginger Cookies
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + freezing Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla frosting and nonpareils, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and water. In another bowl, whisk flour, spices, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; placed in covered freezer container, separated with waxed paper. Freeze until firm enough to roll, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 5-in. moose-shaped cookie cutter. Carefully place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until set, 7-9 minutes. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. If desired, pipe with vanilla frosting and decorate with nonpareils. Freeze option: Transfer wrapped disks to a covered freezer container, separated by waxed paper; freeze. To use, thaw dough in refrigerator until soft enough to roll. Prepare and bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 157 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 2, 2018
My first time making any type of ginger bread cookies and we all loved these cookies.
Nov 29, 2018
To make these taste more like “home”, I added a 1/4 teasp. Finely fresh ground Black Pepper. It makes the other spices ‘Pop’. Let the dough chill-out in the refrigerator over night. Perfection!