Hot Curried Fruit Sauce
This mouthwatering zesty fruit sauce truly works magic on old-fashioned baked ham. In fact, it turns it into instant party food. Since the sauce relies on canned fruit, it's handy to use as a year-round condiment.—Jean Houston, Kelowna, British Columbia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) sliced peaches, drained and chopped
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) sliced pears, drained and chopped
- 12 maraschino cherries, halved
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the brown sugar, curry powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. In a lightly greased 2-qt. baking dish, combine the fruit; mix well. Pour sauce over the mixed fruit. Bake, uncovered, at 300° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Originally published as Hot Curried Fruit Sauce in Country Woman March/April 2003