Herbed Apple-Cranberry Bread Dressing
Not all stuffings are created equal. My version of the classic side dish features apples for a sweet crunch and cranberries for a little tartness. —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 3 medium red onions, chopped (about 2-2/3 cups)
- 2 to 3 celery ribs, chopped (about 1-1/3 cups)
- 5 cups dry bread crumbs
- 3 medium tart apples, chopped (about 2-2/3 cups)
- 1-1/3 cups dried cranberries
- 1-1/3 cups minced chives
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and celery; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until onions are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until lightly browned.