This pretty side dish’s bright, citrusy flavors are an ideal companion for down-to-earth entrees—and for people who usually shy away from beets. —Jean Ann Perkins, Newburyport, Maryland
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 can (16 ounces) sliced beets
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- Drain beets, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; set beets and juice aside. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add vinegar, orange juice and beet juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Add beets and orange zest; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 93 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Harvard Beets in Taste of Home December/January 1994