Garden Turkey Burgers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped sweet red or green pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into six 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Serve on buns. Freeze option: Place patties on a plastic wrap-lined baking sheet; wrap and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and transfer to a resealable plastic freezer bag; return to freezer. To use, grill frozen patties as directed, increasing time as necessary for a thermometer to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 188 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Jul 11, 2016
Flavor was great, but they tended to fall apart on the grill. I'm wondering if an egg would have helped bind them better, or I will try cooking them on a pan or griddle.
Jul 16, 2015
Very surprised how these burgers had great flavor, stayed moist, and didn't shrink when I made these today. Pan fried them. Used a 1/2 cup scoop and got 7 large burgers. A keeper!
Apr 9, 2015
My husband and I loved these turkey burgers. I put less than half of the red pepper that was called for and it was more than enough. It made 5 HUGE burgers, so we have 3 leftover. Made them on the gas grill. Very flavorful and not dry like ground turkey sometimes can be.
Apr 23, 2014
I made these for dinner tonight and my family LOVED them!! I diced all the veggies very fine to trick my 7 year old and it worked!! I also used green onions just as a personal preference and they were amazing that way! I thought they would turn out dry as I watched them cook but were very juicy! I cooked them on a flat top griddle instead of the grill. I will definitely make these again very soon!
Jan 25, 2014
These were good! I doubled the recipe and froze the extras. Quick, healthy and easy. Great recipe!
Oct 23, 2013
These were moist and tasty. I subsituted half carrots for half of the amount of green peppers. Even if you're a vegetable eater this is a quick way to get your vegetables. I served them on flat out breads. I will definitely make these again.
Jun 5, 2013
Delicious, fragrant, family-pleasers, these burgers are extraordinary. 4 generations of family - including absurdly picky eaters, deathwish dieters and crabbly in-laws - all raved. Try it as written before 'improving' the recipe.
May 29, 2013
May 13, 2013
Using ground turkey is something I plan on using more often. This is a fabulous recipe and my husband rated it highly. I did use a 1/2 cup of green onion instead of regular onion (it agrees more with my husband). I did make 3 burgers and made meatballs with the remainder.
Sep 8, 2011
I made these tonight, they were really good. I only needed 3 patties, so I made meatballs (as suggested) & froze for later use.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.