Curried Chicken Turnovers
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews or peanuts
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Divide dough into eight portions.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 5-in. circle. Place about 1/4 cup filling on one side. Moisten edges of pastry with water. Fold dough over filling; press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with egg. Cut 1/2-in. slits in top of each. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 turnover: 512 calories, 37g fat (17g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 28, 2014
In the words of our 20 month old grandson, "oh wow"! These are so good. I used a prepared crust and a round cookie cutter to make them as appetizers. I will make them again.
Oct 22, 2012
This recipe has become a staple in our household, and has impressed many guests. I use storebought pie dough cut in half, so my turnovers are shaped a little funny, but it makes them so much easier. I often make a big batch of the filling and stick it in the freezer, then I just put the turnovers together and throw them in the oven anytime I need a meal that's easy to prepare. I also add a drained can of mushrooms to mine, which makes it even better!