Cumin Rice with Avocado
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup picante sauce
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Place first four ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in picante sauce; heat through. Gently stir in avocado and green onions.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 188 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Apr 6, 2018
Very tasty! Adding fresh chopped cilantro leaves right before serving was a great addition!
Mar 29, 2014
Love this rice. It is my new favorite! And simple to throw together without very little prep. Served with chicken enchiladas.
Aug 27, 2011
Excellent way to give variety to your rice. Great for stuffing peppers or burritos (add beans).
Mar 21, 2011
This is very tasty. Not being an avocado eater, I must say I only made it to use up an avocado I needed to get rid of. I would make it again, but I still can't say I love the avocado. This recipe would be just fine without it also. Next time I may use green pepper and tomato instead but I won't write off the avocado!
Jul 5, 2009
I'm looking forward to trying this recipe! Thanks!
Jul 4, 2009
This is such a great recipe. My boyfriend's mother even loved it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.