Cherry Rhubarb Pie
I've got to share this recipe, which is a must in our house during rhubarb season. —Shirley Steele, San Jose, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1-2/3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup drained pitted tart cherries
- 4 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, sugar, cherries, tapioca and food coloring if desired; stir gently and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut pastry sheet in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half to fit a 7-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate; add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 432 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Rhubarb Pie in Cooking for 2 Summer 2009