Beef ‘n’ Bean Torta
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh cilantro, salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
- Cut four 20x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, olives, chili powder, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Spoon about 1-2/3 cups into prepared slow cooker; top with one tortilla and 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers three times.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Using foil strips as handles, remove the tortilla stack to a platter. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro and serve with salsa, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 555 calories, 24g fat (11g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 1365mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 36g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 3, 2019
First time making a dish like this in a slow cooker. Hubby and I loved it. The only change I made was adding garlic (because I put garlic on everything) and used kidney beans, just because we prefer them. The tin foil trick is creative and genius. A definite keeper!
Mar 11, 2018
That isn't a torta; a torta is on a large French roll, not tortillas.
Feb 24, 2018
Super tasty and easy to make! I have made it in the oven at 350 after assembling and it worked out just fine too! I use corn tortillas and tofu crumbles to make it gluten free so it's a great option for our family's diet restrictions.
Jan 30, 2018
Made this last week and it was REALLY good! I used a crock liner also, then just pulled the whole thing out an folded the liner down around the platter. I haven't washed a slow cooker since they invented these things! I was also very pleased with the flavor. I did not make any changes to this, except I did use ground turkey an I was surprised at how much flavor it had. Another bonus to this recipe is it re-heated really well. I left the other 1/2 in the liner an re-heated it in the microwave on 80% for a few minutes an it was great! I will next time only cook 4 hours not 5. My top got a little too brown. I don't rate a lot of recipes, but cook every day an have taken Taste of Home since it started. This is a easy one an really good for just 2 people.
Jan 28, 2018
I like that this was a crock pot recipe. I used a crock pot liner instead of the tin foil. It made it easier to lift out of the pot and I was able to work the torta out of the bag onto a platter. Good flavors!
Aug 1, 2016
This was so easy to throw together. I loved the flavors! It makes a nice, hearty meal. I add some jalapeno rings to the top. If I made it again, I might throw in a can of chopped green chiles. I think it would be great with corn tortillas.
Mar 26, 2016
This recipe will be one of my favorites. Simple to make, simple to change up if you like. I added a bit more cheese. I was surprised how easy those foil strips made it to remove it from the crock pot. I didn't have heavy duty foil, so I just doubled up my regular foil. You could also use ground turkey for a healthier recipe
Jan 2, 2016
Great recipe. I subbed corn tortillas for the flour as I didn't have any. This made it more tamale flavor this way.
Dec 29, 2012
This recipe is most excellent! We use chicken and garlic salt in ours and omit the hot sauce, which adds a little more flavor in our opinion.
Sep 5, 2012
A favorite in our busy home! Even my 3 year old loves it, and he doesn't like meat normally!