Barbecued Basil Turkey Burgers
My husband built me a patio planter for herbs, so I made a turkey burger featuring fresh basil. We add toppings like provolone, red onion and tomatoes. —Denise Miller, Greeley, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons mesquite smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats or oat bran
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 4 whole wheat or multigrain hamburger buns, split
- Optional toppings: sliced provolone cheese, red onion slices, sliced tomato, fresh basil leaves and additional barbecue sauce
- In a large bowl, combine basil, barbecue sauce, oats, garlic, garlic salt and pepper. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- On a lightly greased grill rack, grill burgers, covered, over medium heat 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°. Grill buns over medium heat, cut side down, for 30-60 seconds or until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with toppings of your choice.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 315 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 482mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Originally published as Lemon Basil Turkey Burgers in Taste of Home April/May 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.