The 7 Best Shelf Liners of 2023
If you want to keep your pantry looking pristine, the best shelf liners will keep your shelves clean and prevent things from slipping and sliding around.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
If you’re tired of scrubbing stains off the shelves in your pantry or refrigerator, the best shelf liner will make a world of difference. These inexpensive liners serve a few key purposes in the kitchen: First, they serve as a barrier to protect your shelving—ideal if your food storage containers occasionally leak. (Psst! Our favorite containers don’t!)
Further, they help with pantry and fridge organization because many liners have a non-slip surface that keeps items from moving around. Shelf liners are also useful if you have wire shelving in your pantry, as they will prevent smaller items from falling through the bars.
Here’s everything you need to know about choosing the best shelf liner for your kitchen, as well as our top picks for every home.
What to Consider When Choosing Shelf Liners
There are a few different types of shelf liners available today, so you’ll want to take the following factors into account as you shop:
- Material: Shelf liners can be made from a few different materials, including smooth plastic, grippy silicone-like materials, cork, fabric and more. The best option for your shelves will depend on your main goal. For example, if you want a surface that’s easy to clean, smooth plastic liners will wipe down easily. Or, if you primarily want to stop items from sliding around, a textured material is the way to go.
- Size: Shelves come in a variety of shapes and sizes, so you’ll want to measure your shelving before buying a liner. Most shelf liners come in large rolls, allowing you to cut them to the right length for your shelf, but certain products, such as liners for wire shelves, come precut to fit common shelf sizes.
- Installation: Most of today’s best shelf liner options are either nonadhesive or adhesive. Nonadhesive options are quick and easy to install—you just place them on your shelves as needed. They typically have a non-skid bottom that prevents them from moving around, and they’re easy to remove and clean. Adhesive shelf liners are a more permanent solution, and they have a sticky backing that makes them stick to the shelf. This type of liner usually has a smooth, easy-to-clean surface and will stay in place for several years.
- Cleaning: One of the main benefits of shelf liners is that they’re easy to clean. As you shop, you might want to look at the care instructions for different liners—some are spot-clean only, whereas others can be tossed in the washing machine.
Overhauling your kitchen storage system? Don’t miss our favorite fridge organizers and freezer organization tips!
The Best Shelf Liners
- Best Overall: Gorilla Grip Slip-Resistant Drawer and Shelf Liner
- Best Value: Duck Brand EasyLiner Shelf and Drawer Liner
- Best Splurge: Con-Tact Natural Cork Shelf Liner
- Best Clear: Glomen Shelf Liner
- Best Patterned: Smart Design Bonded Grip Shelf Liner
- Best for Wire Shelves: Gorilla Grip Wire Shelf Liner
- Best Washable: DII Fridge & Shelf Liner
Best Overall Shelf Liner
Gorilla Grip Slip-Resistant Drawer and Shelf Liner
If you’re looking for an easy-to-install shelf liner that contains spills and keeps items from moving around, the Gorilla Grip slip-resistant drawer and shelf liner is our top choice. The liner comes in a variety of common shelf widths, ranging from 12-24 inches, and you can purchase it in 10- or 20-foot rolls. There is also a variety of colors and patterns from which to choose, including neutral and bold options.
This shelf liner has a durable, nonadhesive grip bottom that will keep it in place on your shelf and a smooth top that’s water-resistant. It’s the ideal product for kitchen shelves, inside your fridge or under countertop appliances as a cushion. And the material is simple to trim down to the perfect size.
- Many colors and patterns
- Water-resistant material contains spills
- Slip-resistant bottom layer
- Easy to clean
- Available in several popular widths
- Liner can shift if heavy objects are pushed across it
Best Value Shelf Liner
Duck Brand EasyLiner Shelf and Drawer Liner
The Duck Brand EasyLiner shelf and drawer liner is a budget-friendly solution for your kitchen that retails for less than half the price of other similar shelf liners. It’s made from a grippy polyester material with a breathable open-weave construction, and it comes in 12- or 20-inch widths.
This liner is particularly beneficial if you’re trying to prevent slipping in your cupboards, and it stays in place without any adhesive. It’s not ideal for preventing food stains because it does have perforations, but it is extra easy to clean—simply pick it up and toss it in the washing machine!
Next, learn how to organize your fridge on a budget.
- Grippy top and bottom holds liner and objects in place
- Machine washable for easy cleaning
- Available in 12- or 20-inch widths
- Easy to cut to size
- Open-weave construction doesn’t contain spills
- Only one color available
Best Splurge Shelf Liner
Con-Tact Natural Cork Shelf Liner
If you don’t mind spending a little extra for an eco-friendly product, the Con-Tact natural cork shelf liner is attractive and highly functional. It comes in 4-foot rolls that are either 12- or 18-inches wide, and you can easily cut the thin cork to fit any shelf. Plus, the material has an adhesive side that keeps it in place, even when you slide heavy dishes across it.
Not only is cork a renewable resource, which means it’s eco-friendlier than plastic, but it also absorbs oils and stains and is a breeze to wipe clean. The material prevents items from sliding around on your shelves, and its attractive finish makes it worth the splurge in our book.
Looking for more must-haves? Add a fridge drawer organizer, drink dispenser and Chilly Mama odor eliminator to your cart.
- Adhesive liner
- Absorbs oil and stains
- Prevents slippage
- Made from renewable resources
- Pricier than plastic options
Best Clear Shelf Liner
Glomen Shelf Liner
The Glomen shelf liner has a simple, clear design, so it won’t call attention to itself. The liner is made from a food-grade material, and it has a subtle striped texture to help prevent items from slipping. It also comes in a range of widths and lengths, so it’s easy to find the best fit for your application.
This shelf liner is ideal for the pantry or even for refrigerator shelving because its plasticlike surface is waterproof and simple to wipe clean when you’re cleaning your fridge. It can be cut into any shape, but the bottom isn’t slip-resistant, so you might need some double-sided tape to keep it in place on your shelf.
- Discreet clear design
- Various roll sizes
- Waterproof material
- Might require double-sided tape to prevent slippage
Best Patterned Shelf Liner
Smart Design Bonded Grip Shelf Liner
You can instantly elevate your kitchen with the Smart Design bonded grip shelf liner, which comes in a variety of beautiful patterns. Choose from dainty florals, polka dots, plaids and more, all of which come in rolls that are 12 inches wide.
This Amazon kitchen find has a durable bonded design that won’t fray or split, even if you cut the edges, and the nonadhesive design is easy to install. The top of the liner is smooth and slick, so it’s a breeze to wipe down, and the bottom has a slip-resistant finish to keep the material in place.
- Several attractive patterns
- Durable bonded design
- Slip-resistant bottom
- Easy to wipe clean
- Limited size options
Best Shelf Liner for Wire Shelves
Gorilla Grip Wire Shelf Liner
Wire shelving is a popular pantry organization solution, and the Gorilla Grip wire shelf liner helps make the surface even more usable by preventing items from falling between the wires. These shelf liners come in clear, colored and patterned options, and they’re made of a heavy-duty polypropylene that’s thicker than many other liners and can support heavy objects. They even have notched corners to help keep them in place on your shelves, and the waterproof material will capture all sorts of stains and spills.
Unlike many other liners, this product comes in precut sizes to match common shelf dimensions. This means you’ll have to measure your shelving in advance to make sure you’re getting the proper size.
- Thick material supports tough objects
- Waterproof material
- Notched corners that keep liners in place
- Available in a plethora of colors and sizes
- Might not fit uncommon shelf sizes
Best Washable Shelf Liner
DII Fridge & Shelf Liner
The DII fridge and shelf liner makes it easy to prevent tough food stains on your shelves. The liners come in an array of fun colors and patterns, and they’re made from a durable polyester material that can be tossed right into the washing machine. They’re ideal for use in the fridge and pantry, or under messy countertop appliances. You could also make use of the liners in the bathroom or other parts of your home. You can cut the liner to any shape, and each pack includes two 12-by-20-inch liners.
- Wide range of colors and patterns
- Air-dry only
How We Chose the Best Shelf Liners
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money. Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product, and if it stands up to the test.
Why should I use a shelf liner?
Shelf liners offer several benefits. They can prevent objects on your shelves, such as dinnerware and glassware, from sliding around on the shelf, and many liners also help protect your shelves from stains, ultimately making your pantry or fridge easier to clean.
How do you keep shelf liners in place?
Many of the best shelf liners have non-slip backings, which helps to keep them in place, even if you pull an object across the shelf. However, if you’ve noticed your shelf liners are moving around, use double-sided tape to keep them in place.
How do you remove adhesive shelf liners?
If you need to remove adhesive shelf liners, you’ll want to heat up the material using a blow dryer, which helps soften the adhesive. From there, use a putty knife to peel up the liner. You can also spray the underside with a little water to help break the bonds.
Want more fun product picks and money-saving deals from our shopping experts and Test Kitchen? Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.