Twice-Baked Cheddar Potato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 70 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes12 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 8 medium baking potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 green onions, chopped, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°. Scrub potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Bake 45-60 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven; reduce oven setting to 350°.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut each potato lengthwise in half. Scoop out pulp and place in a large bowl; discard shells. Mash pulp with butter; stir in sour cream, milk, salt and pepper.
- Reserve 1/4 cup crumbled bacon for topping. Gently fold remaining bacon, 1 cup cheese and half of the green onions into potato mixture (do not overmix).
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese and green onions; sprinkle with reserved bacon. Bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 301 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Apr 4, 2018
I prepared this for a pot luck yesterday and it was a winner. I started it in the morning then refrigerated it until time to bake. I added the toppings just before baking. I did take it our of the fridge about an hour earlier to bring it to room temperature. Delicious. I brought home only enough for hubby to have which made him happy. I highly recommend this recipe.Volunteer Field Editor
May 10, 2017
YUM! This was very, very good! I left out the bacon only because I'm vegetarian but it was so, so good! Everyone loved it!
Mar 9, 2017
Jan 29, 2017
I made this for a family gathering. 4 generations of guests-some picky eaters- and everyone loved it. I didn't have any leftovers. Definitely a keeper.
Dec 25, 2016
Made this casserole a day ahead for Christmas dinner.... 1.5 times the recipe as someone suggested and started out with mashed potatoes instead of baking them and it turned out amazing! It was such a hit, my mashed potatoes that I made (just in case), barely got touched! I will DEFINITELY BE making this again and again. Thanks for the delicious recipe.
Sep 6, 2016
Great recipe. I will be making this one for the holidays! I made it as directed. Everyone loved it and there wasn't much left.
Jan 31, 2016
This was very good!
Dec 29, 2015
This recipe exceeded my expectations, and I like a lot of flavor. Thank you Kyle!
Dec 15, 2015
This was excellent. Everyone at the potluck wanted the recipe. I will definitely make it again.
Dec 15, 2015
Very, very good! I made this for a pot luck recently. There was very little left over.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.