Twice-Baked Cheddar Potato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 70 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes12 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 8 medium baking potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 green onions, chopped, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°. Scrub potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Bake until tender, 45-60 minutes. Remove from oven; reduce oven setting to 350°.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut each potato lengthwise in half. Scoop out pulp and place in a large bowl; discard shells. Mash pulp with butter; stir in sour cream, milk, salt and pepper.
- Reserve 1/4 cup crumbled bacon for topping. Gently fold remaining bacon, 1 cup cheese and half of the green onions into potato mixture (do not overmix).
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese and green onions; sprinkle with reserved bacon. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 301 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Jul 17, 2019
VickiStein - if you read the directions - first thing is to SCRUB the potatoes, so no peeling there - then once baked you scoop out the potato pulp and discard the shell (skin). If you've ever had potato skins, this would be the something only you're not keep the shell (skin), your baking the potato pulp in a dish, hope that helps :)
Jul 16, 2019
My family and I served this at a BBQ, and everyone loved it! At my mom's suggestion, I included ranch dressing mix as well - really added a burst of flavor! I also included a bit more salt than the recipe called for.
Jun 28, 2019
Absolutely delicious! Served for Thanksgiving and family loved it!
Jun 26, 2019
I'm confused about this recipe. Nowhere does it say to peel the potatoes. Why in the tips does it recommend peeling the potatoes?
Apr 26, 2019
Is that 8 medium potatoes or 16 medium potatoes?
Jan 31, 2019
We really liked this potato casserole. I made it ahead of time, stored in the refrigerator, and baked it at 350 for about 40 minutes.
Dec 25, 2018
This recipe is great for the holidays! It takes a little bit of work up front, but can be prepared in advance and reheated later. Excellent recipe- great combination of flavors.
Dec 5, 2018
I served to this guest and it got rave reviews. I assembled it the night before and popped in the oven before guests arrived. Made for a much less stressful day.
Nov 24, 2018
it looks yum
Nov 10, 2018
This was great. My family loved it. One word of advise though, don't toss the potato skins. Pop them in a freezer bag and freeze to use later. I use them to make Cheesy Potato Skins.