Twice-Baked Cheddar Potato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 70 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes12 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 8 medium baking potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 green onions, chopped, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°. Scrub potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Bake until tender, 45-60 minutes. Remove from oven; reduce oven setting to 350°.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut each potato lengthwise in half. Scoop out pulp and place in a large bowl; discard shells. Mash pulp with butter; stir in sour cream, milk, salt and pepper.
- Reserve 1/4 cup crumbled bacon for topping. Gently fold remaining bacon, 1 cup cheese and half of the green onions into potato mixture (do not overmix).
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese and green onions; sprinkle with reserved bacon. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 301 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 26, 2019
Is that 8 medium potatoes or 16 medium potatoes?
Jan 31, 2019
We really liked this potato casserole. I made it ahead of time, stored in the refrigerator, and baked it at 350 for about 40 minutes.
Dec 25, 2018
This recipe is great for the holidays! It takes a little bit of work up front, but can be prepared in advance and reheated later. Excellent recipe- great combination of flavors.
Dec 5, 2018
I served to this guest and it got rave reviews. I assembled it the night before and popped in the oven before guests arrived. Made for a much less stressful day.
Nov 24, 2018
it looks yum
Nov 10, 2018
This was great. My family loved it. One word of advise though, don't toss the potato skins. Pop them in a freezer bag and freeze to use later. I use them to make Cheesy Potato Skins.
Apr 4, 2018
I prepared this for a pot luck yesterday and it was a winner. I started it in the morning then refrigerated it until time to bake. I added the toppings just before baking. I did take it our of the fridge about an hour earlier to bring it to room temperature. Delicious. I brought home only enough for hubby to have which made him happy. I highly recommend this recipe.Volunteer Field Editor
May 10, 2017
YUM! This was very, very good! I left out the bacon only because I'm vegetarian but it was so, so good! Everyone loved it!
Mar 9, 2017
Jan 29, 2017
I made this for a family gathering. 4 generations of guests-some picky eaters- and everyone loved it. I didn't have any leftovers. Definitely a keeper.