Turkey and Dumpling Soup
To show some love at a family gathering, I fill a stockpot with this rich turkey soup brimming with veggies, potatoes and dumplings. —Lea Lidel, Leander, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 5 medium), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (about 16 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups coarsely shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat; saute celery and onion until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in potatoes, mixed vegetables, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, until potatoes are almost tender, 8-10 minutes. Add turkey; bring mixture to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, stir baking mix and milk until a soft dough forms; drop by tablespoonfuls on top of simmering soup. Cook, covered, on low heat until a toothpick inserted in dumplings comes out clean, 8-10 minutes.