Taste-of-Summer Light Pound Cake
This delicious, reduced-calorie pound cake brings the bright look and taste of summer to your table year-round. —Jill Bellrose, Portland, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) fat-free lemon yogurt
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, then egg, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon juice and extracts. Combine the flours, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with yogurt.
- Transfer to a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest until blended. Stir in apricots. Drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 276 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 267mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Taste of Summer Light Poundcake in Healthy Cooking August/September 2010