Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2/3 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium pear, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large heavy skillet, cook the pecans, 2 tablespoons vinegar, cayenne and cinnamon over medium heat until nuts are toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- Place salad greens in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, mustard, salt and remaining vinegar and sugar; drizzle over greens and toss to coat. Arrange the greens, pear slices and pecans on six salad plates. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 228 calories, 19g fat (3g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 12, 2017
I loved the glazed pecans, and the use of pear. I tossed in a few dried cranberries because I had them on hand. It made for a great side dish, and adding some grilled chicken made for an amazing dinner.
Dec 13, 2015
The pecans really made this salad...they were delicious! It's a good salad. I substituted an apple for the pear as that is what I had on hand and it was good. I look forward to trying it with pears next time.
Dec 21, 2014
I love the sound of this salad and want to make it for Christmas Eve. However, at dinner there will someone with a tree nut allergy. Is there a non-tree nut (or even totally different ingredient) that I can add that will give similar taste/flavor of the pecans?
Oct 4, 2013
Nov 1, 2011
LOVED this salad!! So many textures and flavors, and the pears were a nice addition, something different. The cayenne pepper added to the pecans was not spicy at all...gave them a burst of flavor. For sure a keeper!!!
Feb 14, 2011
Every time we serve this salad to our guests, they request the recipe. Great flavor and wonderful texture.
Nov 27, 2010
This is a wonderful tasting salad...one that is asked for again and again!!
Oct 10, 2010
Lovely recipe. I used maple syrup in the dressing in place of the sugar but other than that made as is. Got rave reviews when I took it to a celebration lunch. The birthday boy doesn't like fruit/veg but he ate this one!
Oct 7, 2010
I thought the salad dressing was very bland until midway through eating it, then I remembered I hadn't added all the ingredients. The final half was delicious.
Oct 6, 2010
excellent! excellent! excellent!