Sweet and Spicy Asian Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Cook: 3 hours
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced water chestnuts, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2/3 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 2 cups sweet-and-sour sauce
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup duck sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients; stir in bread crumbs. Add pork; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer meatballs to a 4-qt. slow cooker. In small bowl, mix the first 8 sauce ingredients. Pour over meatballs. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until meatballs are cooked through. If desired, sprinkle with green onions.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 meatball: 52 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 4, 2019
First try at these and they were fabulous A hit at my super bowl party!!
Jan 1, 2018
Loved these meatballs! I used them as an appetizer for a party. I think it would be great as a main dish with noodles. I followed the recipe exactly.
Dec 17, 2016
Full disclosure: I did not make the recipe as listed above due to lack of ingredients. I used frozen Swedish meatballs, honey instead of duck sauce, some ketchup Worcestershire added to the BBQ sauce (didn't quite have the 1/4 c), and a squirt of sriracha. Everything else was the same though.It did turn out really yummy though.
Nov 18, 2016
Instead of ground pork, used ground turkey for this meatball recipe. Made for a very easy appetizer for a Thanksgiving potluck we had for my book club! Will definitely be making this one again.