Swedish Pecan Butter Cookies
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 5-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Additional chopped pecans
- Halved red maraschino cherries or red jelly of your choice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk, cream and vanilla. Combine the flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in finely chopped pecans. Roll into 3/4-in. balls.
- In a small bowl, beat egg white. Dip balls in egg white, then roll in additional pecans. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each ball. Top each ball with a cherry half or fill with jelly. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Carefully remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 104 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jun 23, 2017
With the cherry on top these cookies are perfect for Christmas on a cookie tray. They taste wonderful.
May 31, 2009
Definately a special occasion cookie. Very, very good, but time consuming.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.