Surprise Sausage Bundles
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Polish Kielbasa Sausage Rope, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Poppy seeds
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in the sauerkraut, sausage, brown sugar, garlic salt, caraway and pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; add bacon. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine contents of the roll mix and its yeast packet. Stir in one egg, water and butter to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover dough with a large bowl; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces. On a floured surface, roll out each piece into a 4-in. circle. Top each with 1/4 cup filling. Fold dough around filling, forming a ball; pinch edges to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cover loosely with plastic wrap that has been coated with cooking spray. Let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over bundles. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 350° for 16-17 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Freeze option: Freeze cooled bundles in a freezer container, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, reheat bundles on a greased baking sheet in a preheated 325° oven until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 233 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 671mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
May 30, 2016
These were good but I think the changes I made didn't give it the best flavor. Instead of hot rolls I used refrigerated pizza crust. I would not recommend doing that haha. We used leftover McCormick Grillmates sausage we had and that actually tasted good. I didn't rinse the sauerkraut because I love the flavor, but I must have drained it too much because it came out dry. Since it was pizza dough I don't brush on the egg. Next time I will try out refrigerated biscuits instead and see how that goes. Overall, 4 stars but I will update when I try this again.
Feb 7, 2015
I just wanted to let you all know, that I have been making these delicious rolls for many years. As a matter of fact, I just made a batch for supper tonight. But I always add some diced celery and green bell pepper to the onion. Don't be afraid to use turkey smoked sausage, turkey bacon and top with sesame seeds. Because they turn out great every time! My family had a great meal with yummy surprise sausage bundles and spinach tortellini soup. Give them a try!
Jan 4, 2014
Every year for New Year's Day I always make sauerkraut for my family but this year I wanted to try a new recipe using sauerkraut so I tried this. It was a big hit and very Delicious!! The only thing I did different was make homemade rye rolls instead of buying a packet. I will be making these again and not just for New Year's Day!
Jan 7, 2013
These were so good, and heated up so nicely in the microwave. I'm making them again tonight with leftover kielbasa sauerkraut casserole, and I'm also going to stuff some rolls with leftover meatballs.
Jan 4, 2011
These were very good but I think next time I will reduce the brown sugar. They turned out a bit too sweet.
Sep 19, 2010
These freeze well. They really taste good!
Jan 17, 2010
this is the only way my kids will eat sausage and sauerkraut. I like them even better cold the next day. I found this recipe a few years ago and have made it a couple times per year every since!
Nov 18, 2009
These little bundles are great on a cold day with a bowl of soup. They are also easy to pack in a school/work lunch to be ate cold or heated in a microwave
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.