Spinach Salad with Raspberries & Candied Walnuts
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups walnut halves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 10 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 300°. In a small bowl, whisk egg white and vanilla until frothy. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle with sugar; toss to coat evenly. Spread in a single layer in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 10 minutes. Spread on waxed paper to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients until blended. Place spinach in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with raspberries and 1 cup candied walnuts (save remaining walnuts for another use).
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 171 calories, 13g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Dec 31, 2017
EASY. BEAUTIFUL. DELICIOUS. Perfect for Christmas, but great anytime!I did add sliced pears and it was fabulous! (I saved time by purchasing prepared glazed walnuts. ~ I'm sure homemade candied walnuts would be even better!) It disappeared immediately with a large Christmas meal and I thought I had generously overestimated. It is definitely a keeper and is added to my favorites!
Jan 18, 2016
This salad was so easy to prepare and made a beautiful presentation. The poppyseed dressing was delicious and my husband could not get enough of the candied walnuts. It was a huge hit I will definitely make this again.
Dec 13, 2015
This was so easy to prepare for our early family holiday dinner. I did make one modification with the dressing. Being from Vermont, I used two tablespoons of real maple syrup in place of the sugar and corn syrup. The combination of flavors is perfect. Everyone raved about it and asked for the recipe. I saved this recipe for another time.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.