Spinach Salad with Raspberries & Candied Walnuts
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups walnut halves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 10 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 300°. In a small bowl, whisk egg white and vanilla until frothy. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle with sugar; toss to coat evenly. Spread in a single layer in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 10 minutes. Spread on waxed paper to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients until blended. Place spinach in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with raspberries and 1 cup candied walnuts (save remaining walnuts for another use).
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 171 calories, 13g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 31, 2017
EASY. BEAUTIFUL. DELICIOUS. Perfect for Christmas, but great anytime!I did add sliced pears and it was fabulous! (I saved time by purchasing prepared glazed walnuts. ~ I'm sure homemade candied walnuts would be even better!) It disappeared immediately with a large Christmas meal and I thought I had generously overestimated. It is definitely a keeper and is added to my favorites!
Jan 18, 2016
This salad was so easy to prepare and made a beautiful presentation. The poppyseed dressing was delicious and my husband could not get enough of the candied walnuts. It was a huge hit I will definitely make this again.
Dec 13, 2015
This was so easy to prepare for our early family holiday dinner. I did make one modification with the dressing. Being from Vermont, I used two tablespoons of real maple syrup in place of the sugar and corn syrup. The combination of flavors is perfect. Everyone raved about it and asked for the recipe. I saved this recipe for another time.