Spinach-Filled Turkey Roll
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, drained and squeezed dry
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 slices day-old whole wheat bread, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 4 teaspoons herb and garlic onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, green onions and celery in butter until tender. Stir in spinach and salt; heat through. Remove from the heat; cool. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread, minced onion, soup mix and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture; mix well.
- On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat turkey mixture into a 16x10-in. rectangle. Spread spinach mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up, starting with a short side; seal seams and ends.
- Place seam side down in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 165°. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 297 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jul 26, 2013
I made this on Sunday and it was a little dry. Next time I will use fresh spinach cooked with garlic and mushrooms rather than frozen. Ground turkey can be rather bland so it definitely needs alot of flavor added to it. I added a whole onion and garlic in the food processor and an entire envelope of onion soup mix to the turkey. Maybe a little sauce on top next time? I will make again though.
Sep 20, 2012
Love this recipe! It is one of the most delicious dishes I have ever eaten!
Sep 28, 2009
This was terrific!. I don't like mushrooms so I left those out but added a clove of garlic to the spinach mixture and a layer of Feta cheese on top of the spinach layer-about half a cup. My husband loved it. Will definitely make this again.
Jan 13, 2008
We love this recipe! I have given it to many people, and they all rave about it! Delicious!