Slow-Cooker Chicken Tinga
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Shredded lettuce and pico de gallo, optional
- In a small skillet, fully cook chorizo over medium heat, breaking meat into crumbles, 6-8 minutes; drain. Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Add next nine ingredients; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred with two forks. Remove and discard onions; strain cooking juices and skim fat. Return cooking juices and chicken to slow cooker; heat through. Serve chicken in corn tortillas. If desired, top with shredded lettuce and pico de gallo.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts2 tacos: 363 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 800mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Jan 18, 2019
Have been making Tinga for almost 40 years, with and without chorizo. Learned to make.it in Mexico. You may want to try using fresh tomato which has been liquified in the blender, along with the chipotle in adobo. Also, cut the onion into rajas (strips) and sweat them, and you don't have to remove them after cooking (every bit of vegetable helps). It is traditional to serve Tinga on tostadas with sour cream and slices of avocado, at least in Michoacan state in Mexico