Santa’s Sugar Cookies
My mom helped me make these yummy treats for Christmas. After we baked the cookies, I had fun dipping them into the melted chocolate and sprinkling on the peppermint candy pieces.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips, melted
- 14 peppermint candies, crushed
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cream of tartar and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm.
- Shape dough into 3/4-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Dip one end of each cookie into melted chocolate; sprinkle with crushed peppermint. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 128 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 12mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Candy Cane Sugar Cookies in Country Woman Christmas 2008