Pork Chops with Tomato Curry
This hearty flavorful dish is great on cold winter nights. I love the sweetness of the apples, the heat of the curry and the bit of almond crunch.—Mary Leverette, Columbia, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 6 boneless pork loin chops (6 ounces each)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium apples, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 2 teaspoons butter over medium-high heat. Brown pork chops in batches. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in apples, tomatoes, sugar, curry powder, salt and chili powder. Bring to a boil, stirring to break up tomatoes.
- Return chops to pan. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Turn chops; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in pork reads 145°. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with rice and, if desired, sprinkle with almonds.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 pork chop with 3/4 cup tomato mixture and 2/3 cup rice (calculated without almonds): 478 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 7g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Pork Chops with Tomato Curry in Light Recipes 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.