Overnight Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 8 slices day-old white bread
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 8 slices process American cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimientos, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Remove the crusts from bread and set aside. Arrange bread slices in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken; cover with the mushrooms and water chestnuts.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mayonnaise and salt. Pour over chicken. Arrange cheese on top. Combine soups and pimientos; pour over cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Crumble reserved crusts; toss with melted butter. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/4 hours or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 438 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 1093mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Aug 25, 2017
wonderful ! I added onions, celery, pepper and garlic powder.. tasted like homemade chicken and noodles.. and I used shredded cheese.. this will be one on of our favorites ! took it to a pot luck and it was gone before anything else.. if you are gluten free you could easily use that style of bread also
Nov 23, 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.