Overnight Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 8 slices day-old white bread
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 8 slices process American cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimientos, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Remove the crusts from bread and set aside. Arrange bread slices in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken; cover with the mushrooms and water chestnuts.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mayonnaise and salt. Pour over chicken. Arrange cheese on top. Combine soups and pimientos; pour over cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Crumble reserved crusts; toss with melted butter. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/4 hours or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 438 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 1093mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Aug 25, 2017
wonderful ! I added onions, celery, pepper and garlic powder.. tasted like homemade chicken and noodles.. and I used shredded cheese.. this will be one on of our favorites ! took it to a pot luck and it was gone before anything else.. if you are gluten free you could easily use that style of bread also
Nov 23, 2015