Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating
- 4 large portabello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 medium red onion, cut into eight slices
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat red wine vinaigrette
- 4 small tomatoes, each cut into four slices
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place mushrooms, onion and vinaigrette in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal bag; toss well to coat. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Drain and reserve marinade.
- For grill, coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Wrap marinated onion slices in heavy-duty foil and place on medium-hot grill. Place mushrooms, gill side down, on grate. Grill both for 5-7 minutes; turn. Grill 5-7 minutes longer or until juices accumulate in the mushroom caps. Remove onions and mushrooms from grill; drain and reserve any juices from onions and mushrooms.
- For microwave, place onion slices and mushrooms, gill side up, on a microwave-safe plate. Cover and microwave for 3 minutes. Let stand for 30 seconds. Drain and reserve any juices.
- To serve, place each mushroom cap, gill side up, on a serving plate. Layer each with tomato, onion slices and basil. Sprinkle each stack with cheese and thyme. Combine reserved vinaigrette and cooking juices; drizzle over each stack. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Originally published as Mushroom Napoleon in Taste of Home Cooking School Brand Name Cookbook Spring 2009