Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating
- 4 large portabello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 medium red onion, cut into eight slices
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat red wine vinaigrette
- 4 small tomatoes, each cut into four slices
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place mushrooms, onion and vinaigrette in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal bag; toss well to coat. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Drain and reserve marinade.
- For grill, coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Wrap marinated onion slices in heavy-duty foil and place on medium-hot grill. Place mushrooms, gill side down, on grate. Grill both for 5-7 minutes; turn. Grill 5-7 minutes longer or until juices accumulate in the mushroom caps. Remove onions and mushrooms from grill; drain and reserve any juices from onions and mushrooms.
- For microwave, place onion slices and mushrooms, gill side up, on a microwave-safe plate. Cover and microwave for 3 minutes. Let stand for 30 seconds. Drain and reserve any juices.
- To serve, place each mushroom cap, gill side up, on a serving plate. Layer each with tomato, onion slices and basil. Sprinkle each stack with cheese and thyme. Combine reserved vinaigrette and cooking juices; drizzle over each stack. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Originally published as Mushroom Napoleon in Taste of Home Cooking School Brand Name Cookbook Spring 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.