Mexican Tortilla Breakfast Casserole
Brought to you by Johnsonville® Sausage
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2 packages (12 ounces, each) Johnsonville® Hot & Spicy Breakfast Sausage Links
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cans (4 ounces, each) diced mild green chilies
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper-jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- 10 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Cook sausages according to package directions; cut into 1/4-inch slices; set aside.
- In a skillet, sauté onion and bell pepper in oil until almost tender. Stir in garlic and chili pepper; cook for 1 additional minute. Add sausage and chilies; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cheeses, green onion and cilantro. In a greased, 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish, sprinkle one third of tortilla chips. Follow with one-half of the sausage mixture and one-half of the cheese mixture; repeat.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper sauce; pour over layered ingredients. Sprinkle with remaining tortilla chips.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Originally published as Mexican Tortilla Breakfast Casserole in Johnsonville Sausage 2018