Mexican Tortilla Breakfast Casserole
Brought to you by Johnsonville® Sausage
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2 packages (12 ounces, each) Johnsonville® Hot & Spicy Breakfast Sausage Links
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cans (4 ounces, each) diced mild green chilies
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper-jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- 10 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Cook sausages according to package directions; cut into 1/4-inch slices; set aside.
- In a skillet, sauté onion and bell pepper in oil until almost tender. Stir in garlic and chili pepper; cook for 1 additional minute. Add sausage and chilies; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cheeses, green onion and cilantro. In a greased, 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish, sprinkle one third of tortilla chips. Follow with one-half of the sausage mixture and one-half of the cheese mixture; repeat.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper sauce; pour over layered ingredients. Sprinkle with remaining tortilla chips.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Originally published as Mexican Tortilla Breakfast Casserole in Johnsonville Sausage 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.