Makeover Corn ‘n’ Green Bean Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) French-style green beans, drained
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups crushed reduced-fat butter-flavored crackers (about 50 crackers)
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Toss the cracker crumbs and butter; sprinkle over vegetable mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 241 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 679mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Nov 7, 2013
Whenever I make this,I cook it in the microwave uncovered for 10 minutes. This way it frees up my regular oven for the turkey or rolls. Been doing this for years. Comes out just fine..I'm sorry, I meant the original green bean casserole without the corn or sour cream. Sorry.
Nov 25, 2010
Even this makeover recipe is too rich. I made this today for Thanksgiving in place of green bean casserole. That was a mistake, we couldn't eat it. I made it exactly per recipe, cooked it for 45 min, and it was nice & bubbly. However, the onions peppers and corn were way undercooked. I won't be making this again, but if you want to try it I would recommend cooking the onions, peppers & celery first in saute pan until tender. Also, I did not like the frozen corn, too tough. I would also substitute canned corn (the summer crisp). Maybe decrease the amount of sour cream also.
Nov 18, 2010
I never made things with 'Butter favored crackers' but finally I read people use Ritz Crackers! Haven't made this yet but I printed it up.
Nov 6, 2010
What kind of flavored crakers do you use?
Dec 3, 2008
To make this even lighter, what about sprinkling cracker crumbs, then spraying them with the no-calorie butter spray? I think it will be worth a try, and it's not a change written in stone. If it doesn't work as well, then back to the original instructions.