Lemony Coconut Frozen Yogurt
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Process: 15 min.
- 4 cups (32 ounces) plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Ice cream waffle bowls, optional
- Fresh blueberries and raspberries, optional
- Line a strainer or colander with four layers of cheesecloth or one coffee filter; place over a bowl. Place yogurt in prepared strainer; refrigerate, covered, 3 hours. Remove yogurt from cheesecloth and place in a large bowl; discard drained liquid.
- Whisk sugar, lemon juice and lemon peel into yogurt until sugar is dissolved. Stir in cream. Pour into cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions, adding coconut during the last 5 minutes of processing time. If desired, serve in waffle bowls and top with berries.
Editor's NoteTo toast coconut, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup (calculated without optional ingredients): 177 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Jul 12, 2014
Light and refreshing! Perfect ending to a summer meal. We churned ours to the consistancy of soft serve and there wasn't any left to freeze so I can't comment on how it keeps I used fat free greek plain yogurt and regular half and half to cut the fat content.. Will try it with fat free half and half as well. MUST try!!! YUMMO!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.