Lemony Coconut Frozen Yogurt
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Process: 15 min.
- 4 cups (32 ounces) plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Ice cream waffle bowls, optional
- Fresh blueberries and raspberries, optional
- Line a strainer or colander with four layers of cheesecloth or one coffee filter; place over a bowl. Place yogurt in prepared strainer; refrigerate, covered, 3 hours. Remove yogurt from cheesecloth and place in a large bowl; discard drained liquid.
- Whisk sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest into yogurt until sugar is dissolved. Stir in cream. Pour into cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions, adding coconut during the last 5 minutes of processing time. If desired, serve in waffle bowls and top with berries.
Editor's NoteTo toast coconut, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup (calculated without optional ingredients): 177 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 12, 2014
Light and refreshing! Perfect ending to a summer meal. We churned ours to the consistancy of soft serve and there wasn't any left to freeze so I can't comment on how it keeps I used fat free greek plain yogurt and regular half and half to cut the fat content.. Will try it with fat free half and half as well. MUST try!!! YUMMO!!