Leftover Squash Muffins
When I found this recipe in a magazine and adapted it to my taste, it quickly became a family favorite. By canning half-pints of squash in the summer, I'm able to make these all winter long!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup pureed cooked winter squash
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine first six ingredients; mix well. In a separate bowl, combine milk, squash, butter and eggs; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups about two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 186 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Leftover Squash Muffins in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.