Korean Sausage Bowl
When we hosted a student from South Korea, she shared some of her favorite Korean dishes. We especially like bibimbap. I created a variation on the dish with Italian sausage. —Michal Riege, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 25 min.
- 1 package (19 ounces) Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup Korean barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
- Additional sliced green onions, optional
- In a large bowl, toss sausage pieces with 1/2 cup barbecue sauce; refrigerate, covered, 4 hours.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Break egg into pan; cook until yolk is set, turning once. Remove from pan; cut into thin strips.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and red pepper; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Stir in green onions, garlic and seasonings; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from pan.
- Drain sausage, discarding marinade. In same pan, cook and stir sausage until no longer pink, 12-15 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water. Add pasta, pasta water, carrot mixture and remaining barbecue sauce to sausage. Toss to combine. Divide among 4 bowls; top with egg strips and, if desired, additional green onions.