Honeyed Carrots with Citrus-Basil Gremolata
I love the scent of fresh basil. It's even better when paired with fresh citrus peel! In this recipe, the carrots are sweetened with a touch of honey, then topped with a lively citrus-basil gremolata. —Naylet LaRochelle, Miami, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min. `
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 pound medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the parsley, basil, lemon zest, orange zest, garlic and pepper flakes if desired; set aside.
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine carrots and 1/4 cup water. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes; stir. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes longer or until tender. Drain. Combine the honey, oil, salt and pepper; stir into carrots.
- Transfer carrots to a serving plate and sprinkle with parsley mixture.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 113 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Honeyed Carrots with Citrus-Basil Gremolata in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016