Glazed Apple Pan Pie
Potluck gatherings keep us busy around the year, so I appreciate foods that feed a crowd. With a sweet apple filling and delicious crust, this pan pie is always a hit.—Barbara Keith, Faucett, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup ice water
- 14 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Beat egg yolks and water; add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out one half to fit the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Toss apples with lemon juice and vanilla; set aside. Combine sugars, cinnamon and salt. Place half of the apples over crust; sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture. Repeat; dot with butter.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Seal and flute edges. Brush with milk.
- Bake at 375° for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over pie.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 323 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Glazed Apple Pan Pie in Taste of Home October/November 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.