Frieda’s Molasses Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light molasses or sorghum
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses, water and vinegar. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; beat into creamed mixture. Cover and chill for 3 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter, drinking glass or decorative cutter dipped in flour. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Do not overbake.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 158 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 24, 2012
These are delicious! I didn't have time to roll out the cookies so I simply rolled them into balls after chilling, rolled the balls in sugar and used a fork to press them down onto the pan. It worked great!