Fresh Blueberry Shortcakes
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream or milk
- Butter, softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, lemon juice and 2 cups blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool for 15 minutes. Stir in remaining blueberries; let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cream just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to a 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. While hot, cut biscuits in half horizontally and spread insides with butter. Set aside to cool.
- Just before serving, place heavy cream in a chilled small mixing bowl and with chilled beaters, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining 1-2 tablespoons sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Spoon cream over the bottom of each biscuit. Top with berry mixture and biscuit top. If desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 shortcake: 506 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 12, 2017
This recipe was really easy to make and the blueberry "sauce" was delicious! We served the extra over ice cream! The only thing I would do differently next time is make the shortcake just a bit bigger. But that is just personal preference!
Jun 22, 2014
Blueberry perfection...just plain delicious!