Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 3 to 4 medium apples, chopped
- 2 to 3 medium bananas, sliced
- Drain pineapple, reserving 3/4 cup juice. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in the orange, lemon and pineapple juices until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the fruits. Pour warm sauce over the fruit; stir gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 89 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 7, 2018
Love it. What’s to adjust!
May 25, 2017
Our whole family loves this fruit salad. Vary the fruits to suit your taste. I agree with the other reviewers who said to wait to add bananas until just prior to serving. A very similar Taste of Home recipe is "Brunch Fruit Salad" which is also delicious.
Mar 14, 2017
Compotes are delicious and not one side dish like Jams, heres a really yummy less fruit salad, more compote alternative
Mar 28, 2016
Made this as written. Very good!! Added all the fruit to the sauce and served it the next day, we had leftovers the next day and none of the fruit had browned. Next time I may half some cherries for extra color.
Mar 25, 2016
Love love love this. I make it frequently. It's always a hit!
Jan 23, 2015
Delish and easy. I made it the day before but added the bananas shortly before serving. This will be a go-to keeper.
Nov 7, 2014
Great salad! Makes a large quantity; sauce is really good. I did wait to add the apples and bananas shortly before serving, but the leftovers did not turn brown quickly, maybe due to the juices in the sauce. I added fresh fruit to the leftovers to make it go further since there was plenty of sauce.
Mar 9, 2014
Stir Lemon juice into the fruit. It will keep the apples and bananas from turning brown! This is YUMMY!
Feb 5, 2014
This was quite good. I have made it twice now, and I learned two things. One, there was way too much sauce in my opinion, so I cut that part of the recipe in half. Much better. Two, don't cut in the apples and bananas until you're ready to serve it. Not terrible, but a lot better (and better looking) to wait. Other than those two things this was delicious and an excellent fruit dish to make in the winter time.
Jan 8, 2013
Everyone loved this. The sauce makes it.