Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 cup onion and garlic salad croutons
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a food processor, process croutons until ground. Sprinkle evenly onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a greased 2-qt. souffle dish; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and prosciutto in oil for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add spinach and garlic; cook just until spinach is wilted. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into vegetable mixture. Transfer to prepared dish; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 223 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 843mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 17, 2012
Egg yolk is listed in the ingredients. Read down the list. Directions should have been a little clearer.
Feb 17, 2012
Egg yolks are mentioned in Step 4 but they are not in the ingredients list.
Aug 9, 2009
Good recipe. A little time consuming and needs more spice but it can take more veggies. I made individual souffles and the rose way over the top but settled down after sitting.
Jun 14, 2009
Very good despite a couple substitutions just because I used what was on hand. I put thin sliced cheddar/Parmesan on top which was quite tasty.