Fiddlehead Shrimp Salad
Fiddleheads are your, tightly curled fronds from bracken, ostrich and cinnamon ferns that sprout in moist fields and open wooded areas. Each spring, fiddleheads are prepared in dozens of ways—from soups to cakes— at the Fiddlehead Festival in my home state.—Wilma Johnson, Thorndike, Maine
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 cups fiddlehead ferns
- 1 cup cooked shell macaroni
- 1/2 cup diced unpeeled apple
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced cooked shrimp
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook ferns in a small amount of water until tender. Drain. Toss with all remaining ingredients. Chill.
Originally published as Fiddlehead Shrimp Salad in Taste of Home April/May 1993
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.